Sunday, July 19, 2009

ACCIDENT

It seems as if you are watching a movie stunt and as the adrenalin takes the best of you, you close your eyes with a hope that when you open them you’ll actually be in a movie hall. But the worst always happens, and as you open your eyes you can see it clearly happening in front of you…you can hear the screams…feel the panic…and listen to the CRASH.

How many times has it happened that you have witnessed a real accident happening live?? I mean the ones you see in-action in the movies actually happening in reality to someone real. Someone who is just like you and me, someone who has a family, some friends, and many responsibilities, who has a life of his own to live. Spooky it is!! And it takes the hell out of you.
It’s been more than a month now, but the calls of help and the blood and broken car with a hand hanging out still visit me in my dreams. We were in Massoori then. It was the first night halt of our 15 days long road trip into the Gharwals. At around 10 in the night, after starting our day at 6 in the morning, we reached our hotel, got fresh and sat by the balcony, hungry little beings dreaming of the appetizing dinner being cooked just for us. DRRRRR BOOOOOOOOM CRRRAAASHHH CCCCRRRRRRRR…
-What was that???
-Sounds like someone’s bursting crackers!!
-Who in the world would want to burst crackers so late in the night??? It’s already past 11…..
-SHHHH!! Watch out… see the lights rolling down??? BLOOOOODDDY a cars falling off the cliff!!!
-WHA….???? OH MY GOD!!!
It rolled on and on for about 4 minutes, continuing to make those horrific cracklings!!! And it all happened on the cliff which had a clear visibility from the place where we were standing. I could clearly see the head lights rolling down the mountain slope, the white metal body hiding itself from time to time behind the bushes and trees and suddenly there was pin drop silence…. The silence beckoning fury. And in about a second or two there was a long, shrilling, continuous blow of the horn. The cries of help are still very vivid in my ears. “PLEASE HELP! TAKE ME OUT OF HERE! IM STUCK!” people wailing and shouting!!!
On pure instincts, we rushed to the spot from where the car had fallen. It was a five minutes run. The trackers were already on their way down the cliff to trace the car and check for causalities. The wailing hadn’t yet stopped. Well at least we had the assurance that people were alive, but to think of the condition they might be in made us shudder. After all they had a good nice fall of about 50ft. There was a small crowd gathered around panicking and trying to make up stories about the car. It was getting eerier specially after having heard a local myth about how the dead haunt the city after they fall of a mountain. Enough to scare your guts out!!! Plus the cries actually weren’t stopping. My legs wanted to run but my brain commanded them to stay, to be curious and wait to see the causalities.
Half an hour passed by (but it seemed like eternity) and the car was finally traced and the casualties brought to bay. There was a couple in the car sans their kids. Both were covered in blood and it was difficult to check out for injuries. The forehead of the husband was ragged and the insides were clearly seen. The lady had her left part of the face completely covered in blood and her face was actually skewed. The left nostril had no opening, there was no trace of left cheek and a part of the jaw bone was jutting out!!!! This was it… I couldn’t stop myself from pukeing!! After all you don’t come across such accidents every time in life…just one dose is enough for lifetime!!!! And to continue explaining my condition makes me feel sick again… so I would rather not..

8 comments:

- Sugar Cube - said...

Huh ..scary to read. Although you already told me of this..reading makes made it much more dreadful.

I liked the opening para.

- Sugar Cube - said...

reading made it ***

DONNA said...

@ Sugar cube!! lol it was hell scarier!!! and i can still remember it vividly!!!

peter said...

My family in the car, suddenly a speedy biker overtakes the car ...the driver takes a sudden break and my brother on the front seat ..screams wtf ...suddenly the biker bumps against an autorikshaw ...and falls down ...and out of nowhere a city bus appears and ...rips him apart exposing his internal organs soaked in deep red blood on that busy road of Kolkata.

It happnd last summer.

DONNA said...

@ Peter..

OOps!!!! poor biker.. shulda known not to exceed the speed limits inside the city!!! he meets his fate!!! but its damn ercksom to be viewing such accidents.. specially when ur not a doc...

Karan said...

well this is a first...i never heard some 1 tell this...my sympathies... really bad it happened..

DONNA said...

oh!! well this was my first!! and i pray it IS my LAST!!!!

Sunny said...

Hey,

Accidents are never a pleasure to watch, I remember seeing one on a highway where a cyclist hit by a tata sumo. I saw it while I was having tea and we ran to the scene. It was horrible. I hope we'r spared from the sight next time.

BTW, I like your poems too ... nicely written, even I've written a few. Do come over to my blog sometime.